Best Home Remedies; Personal Favorites
Opinions on what are the best home remedies vary as widely as the remedies themselves. What works well for one peron does absolutely nothing for the next. I am going to list a few that work for me. I realize, and you should too, that it works in part because I believe it does. Prescription drugs also work best for those who believe that is the best thing they can do for their particular condition. "It is done unto you as you believe."
I am listing my best home remedies in order of the length of time I have been using them; over twenty years in some cases. That order is fairly close to what I perceive as their value. There is also some detail regarding the history and/or rationale behind each. The first five I use on a daily basis.
- Apple Cider Vinegar...The powerful health and healing qualities of natural raw apple cider vinegar have been known and used since 3,000 B.C. ACV is a product of fermentation and throughout history fermented foods and juices have been valued for their healing qualities. Here are some of the conditions that ACV is purported to prevent or cure or generally improve.
The effect of ACV on blood glucose levels is perhaps the best-researched and the most promising of apple cider vinegar's possible health benefits. Several studies have found that it may help lower glucose levels. It is beneficial to all aspects of cardiovascular health. There are numerous ways to take it; in food, diluted with water, with honey or baking soda. I take about 1 1/2 tablespoons in 6 ounces of water and sip it throughout the day. ACV is on a lot of best home remedies lists.
- HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
- WEIGHT CONTROL
- ASSIST DIGESTION
- Gin and Raisins...Almost twenty years ago the knuckles on my hands were beginning to swell and were painful. This is about the time the gin and raisin remedy became somewhat popular. I tried it and in a matter of weeks my hands were back to normal and still are to this day. I don't know why it works. Some believe it is the juniper in the gin; juniper berries do have some medicinal qualities. I really don't care as long as it works. Golden raisins, not dark ones, are soaked in gin. Some people let the gin evaporate and some leave the mixture in a jar with a lid, which is what I do. I take to one teaspoonful the first thing in the morning. It really helps if you like the taste, which I do.
- Coconut Oil...Although coconut oil is a saturated fat, it has tremendous health value. Saturated fats are not all bad. A certain amount of natural butter can also be beneficial. Today thousands of people testify that Virgin Coconut Oil has tremendous health benefits, related to not only weight loss, but to such things as increased metabolism, helping sluggish thyroids, increased energy levels, improving cholesterol levels, clearing up skin infections, killing viruses and improving digestive health. I first started taking it for an underactive thyroid caused by medication when I had a heart problem. I take at least a tablespoon a day, usually on whole grain toast like butter. It is delicious and I am totally convinced of its health value. Be sure you get Virgin Coconut Oil which is ususally organic.
- Cinnamon...Cinnamon can lower LDL cholesterol and regulate blood sugar a great benefit for diabetics. It can also reduce arthritis pain, aid digestion and combat colds and flu. A half teaspoon a day is the minimum for noticeable results. I use a little more than that on my fruit and cereal every morning.
- Celery...Celery provides an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber and it is a very good source of folic acid, potassium, and vitamins B1 and B6. Celery contains phytochemical compounds known as coumarins which are effective in cancer prevention. Coumarin compounds also lower blood pressure, and tone the vascular system. I eat two or three stalks a day for blood pressure control.
There are several other so called best home remedies that I think have real health benefits. Here are a few that I use regularly but not necessarily on a daily basis.
- Garlic...Throughout history garlic has been known for its medicinal value. It is a natural antibiotic which makes it the best treatment and preventative for colds and flu. To get immediate results the best way to take garlic is to chew it well. Put a whole clove in a half teaspoon of honey and chew thoroughly before swallowing. In serious cases you can do this three or four times a day. It works! Garlic also helps to lower blood pressure and it contains an anti-inflammatory property that is helpful with arthritis. For diabetes it reduces levels of blood fat and blood sugar and increases the level of insulin in the blood. It's proven benefits are indeed miraculous and it is probably on everone' best home remedies list. Always look to nature first.
- Fish Oil...Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish—especially oily fish such as salmon, sardines, and herring. These fatty acids help lower blood pressure, lower heart rate, and improve other cardiovascular risk factors. Eating fish reduces the risk of death from heart disease. Fish intake has also been linked to a lower risk of stroke, depression, and mental decline with age. I eat fresh or canned fish four or five times a week since I stopped eating red meat. Before that I took daily fish oil supplements.
- Raw Almonds...Almonds are nutritional powerhouses, packed with healthy fats, muscle-building protein, natural fiber, beneficial minerals such as copper and magnesium, and heart-healthy vitamins and antioxidants. They also help reduce LDL levels. I eat a small handful almost every day.
- Dried Apricots...Dried apricots are an excellent source of Vitamin A for healthy eyes. They are also high in dietary fiber. Apricots are a rich source of the carotenoid, lycopene which promotes prostate health. I eat five or six dried apricots almost every day.
There you have it; my personal best home remedies. Why not make a list of your own and make them part of your health and wellness routine?
Remember - Nothing is more important than feeling good.
Return from Best Home Remedies to Home Remedies
Return from Best Home Remedies to Vitality After 60 Homepage